At Southlake Foundation, we believe that each one of us has a role to play in creating the kind of health care our family members, friends and neighbours need and deserve.
Thanks to the confidence and support of our very generous community, Southlake has undergone a stunning transformation from a local community hospital to a state-of-the-art regional health centre, with leading-edge technology and facilities.
We can all proudly point to our hospital as a healthcare leader that is earning a reputation for innovation and excellence around the world. And it’s right here, in our own backyard! It’s not often in one’s life that we have the chance to transform lives – your generosity does just that!
Our Commitment to You
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To ensure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the nonprofit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization's mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization's governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
© 2013, Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), all rights reserved. Reproduced with permission from the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
Southlake Foundation Fundraising Policy
All fundraising activities carried out by the Foundation are conducted in an ethical manner, consistent with our mission, vision, values and strategic objectives, and in accordance with all legal and regulatory bodies and professional certification requirements. The Foundation will abide by the Canadian Marketing Association Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice, the Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) standards, the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Code of Ethical Principals and Standards and the AHP Statement of Professional Standards and Conduct.
Imagine Canada Accreditation
We believe that transparency and accountability are essential to our success. With this in mind, we are proud to have received accreditation under Imagine Canada’s National Standards Program.
The Standards Program is a Canada-wide set of shared standards for charities and nonprofits designed to strengthen practices in five fundamental areas: board governance; financial accountability and transparency; fundraising; staff management; and volunteer involvement. Only 150 organizations* across the country have achieved this level of accreditation to date. This is important because you, our supporters, are entitled to transparency and the greatest impact possible for your investment in us.
*As of May 25, 2015
Southlake Foundation's Gift Allocation Policy
As part of our commitment to be equitable and transparent, it is important that all Southlake donors be aware of our Gift Allocation Policy for restricted donations.
Fifteen percent of any restricted donation made to the Foundation is used to fund approved Foundation expenses necessary to raise millions of dollars annually for our hospital and to help support the purchase of prioritized Hospital needs which are not met through restricted giving. The Southlake Foundation Board of Directors establishes and monitors the allocation amount as part of the annual budgeting process.